Foxes, with their fiery orange coats and bushy tails, have always been a symbol of cunning and intelligence in various cultures. As a conservationist, zookeeper, or even just as a fascination, naming a fox can be a delightful experience, reflecting its unique characteristics and personality.
Whether you seek a name steeped in folklore or one that brings a smile to your face, our curated list ensures you’ll find the ideal fit. From whimsical monikers to names inspired by ancient legends, explore a plethora of options that capture the essence of these captivating creatures.
|Scientific Name||Vulpes vulpes|
|Common Name||Red Fox|
|Most Common Nick Names||Foxy, Red, Swift|
|Most Rare Nick Names||Ember, Whisper, Tangle|
Best Fox Names
Choosing the perfect name for your fox can be a reflection of its personality, appearance, or even a nod to its wild nature. Here are some top-notch names that might just resonate with your furry friend.
- Rusty – Inspired by the reddish hue of their fur.
- Hunter – For the fox that’s always on the prowl.
- Cipher – Representing an enigma or secret code, great for a fox with a mysterious personality.
- Echoe – A variant of Echo, perfect for a fox known for its elusive and reverberating presence.
- Enki – Named after the Sumerian god of water and wisdom, suitable for a clever and fluid fox.
- Nyx – Inspired by the Greek goddess of the night, a name for a fox with a dark and enchanting presence.
- Wisp – Evoking a sense of ethereality, great for a fox with a delicate and fleeting nature.
- Arion – From Greek mythology, a name for a swift and agile fox, reminiscent of a legendary horse.
- Solara – A fusion of “solar” and “ara,” meaning altar, perfect for a fox with a radiant and sacred quality.
- Gleamix – Reflecting a striking and captivating quality, suitable for a fox that stands out with a unique allure.
- Whispera – Conjuring an image of subtle and delicate charm, great for a fox known for its soft-spoken yet enchanting nature.
- Duskine – Ideal for a fox that comes alive during the tranquil twilight hours, exuding a serene and captivating aura.
- Mystora – A name that carries an air of enigma and intrigue, fitting for a fox with a mysterious and captivating presence.
- Sylpha – Conjuring an image of graceful and ethereal movement, ideal for a fox that moves with otherworldly and delicate grace.
- Sparkora – Evoking images of lively energy and vibrant presence, great for a fox that brings a lively spark wherever it goes.
- Gleambra – Reflecting a dynamic interplay of light and shadow, suitable for a fox with a striking and captivating contrast.
- Riddlume – Conveying an enigmatic, luminous aura.
- Tangle – Inspired by the fox’s playful nature.
- Swift – A name that speaks to their quick movements.
- Breeze – For a fox that moves as smoothly as the wind.
- Shadow – Perfect for a stealthy fox.
- Flame – Another fiery name for a bright-coated fox.
- Pounce – For the playful and active fox.
- Haze – A mysterious name for a fox.
- Riddle – For the enigmatic fox.
- Cloud – For the dreamy and aloof fox.
- Drift – Inspired by their wandering nature.
- Streak – For a fox that’s always on the run.
Choosing the right name for your fox can be a delightful journey. The names listed above are just a starting point, and the perfect name might just be the one that feels right to you and reflects your fox’s unique personality.
Cultural Fox Names
Foxes are revered and represented in various cultures around the world. Drawing inspiration from different languages and traditions can give your fox a name with deep cultural significance.
- Kitsune – Japanese for fox, often associated with folklore.
- Renard – French word for fox.
- Liska – Czech word meaning fox.
- Zorro – Spanish for fox.
- Tod – Old English word for fox.
- Fuchs – German word for fox.
- Vos – Dutch word for fox.
- Volpe – Italian for fox.
- Raposa – Portuguese for fox.
- Shual – Hebrew word for fox.
- Tilki – Turkish for fox.
- Rev – Swedish for fox.
- Liska – Slovak for fox.
- Foksa – Icelandic for fox.
- Lis – Polish for fox.
- Vulpe – Romanian for fox.
- Fenech – Maltese for fox.
- Foksi – Finnish for fox.
- Feneque – Arabic for fox.
- Foxi – Esperanto for fox.
- Fokstrot – Estonian for fox.
- Fok – Hungarian for fox.
- Foxy – Derived from English, universally understood.
- Fauve – French word meaning wild.
- Vuk – Serbian word for wolf, but sometimes used for foxes.
- Llop – Catalan for wolf, but can be used for foxes.
- Vulpini – Latin origin, related to foxes.
- Reynard – An anthropomorphic fox character from European fables.
Drawing from the rich tapestry of global cultures can provide a unique and meaningful name for your fox. Whether it’s a nod to folklore, language, or tradition, these names carry a weight of history and significance.
Names For A Baby Fox
Baby foxes, or kits, are bundles of joy with their playful antics and curious nature. Naming a kit requires a touch of sweetness and a dash of playfulness.
- Pippin – A playful and energetic name.
- Muffin – Sweet and adorable, just like a kit.
- Sprout – A name that signifies growth and potential.
- Pebble – Small and precious.
- Niblet – A cute name for a tiny fox.
- Tinker – For the mischievous kit.
- Button – Small and cute as a button.
- Puddle – For the kit that loves to play in the water.
- Doodle – A fun and playful name.
- Snickers – For the kit that’s always up to something.
- Poppet – An endearing term for a loved one.
- Twinkle – For the starry-eyed kit.
- Munchkin – A sweet name for a small fox.
- Ruffles – For the fluffy baby fox.
- Giggles – For the cheerful and happy kit.
- Sparkle – For the kit that lights up your life.
- Tootsie – A cute and endearing name.
- Jellybean – Sweet and colorful.
Naming a baby fox is all about capturing their innocence and playfulness. The names listed above are sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face and perfectly encapsulate the joy of having a kit.
Male Fox Names
Choosing a name for a male fox can be a blend of strength, elegance, and character. Here are some names that capture the essence of a male fox.
- Valeheart – Representing a fox with a strong, grounded nature.
- Emberkin – Signifying a warm and close-knit fox.
- Rocco – Strong and steadfast.
- Maximus – Latin for greatest.
- Titan – A powerful and dominant name.
- Ranger – For the fox that loves to roam.
- Duke – Noble and dignified.
- Atlas – Carrying the weight of the world.
- Thor – Named after the Norse god of thunder.
- Falcon – Swift and sharp-eyed.
- Blaze – Fiery and passionate.
- Orionis – Inspired by the Orion constellation, symbolizing strength and power.
- Storm – Wild and unpredictable.
- Wolf – A nod to their wild cousins.
- Rex – Latin for king.
- Archer – Sharp and focused.
- Jett – Fast and sleek.
- Phoenix – Rising from the ashes.
- Leo – Brave and lion-hearted.
- Griffin – Mythical and majestic.
Choosing a name for a male fox is about capturing his essence, whether it’s his strength, his nobility, or his wild nature. The names listed above are a blend of all these attributes, ensuring your fox has a name that suits him perfectly.
Female Fox Names
Female foxes are graceful, elegant, and full of charm. Here are some names that beautifully capture the essence of a female fox.
- Bella – Beautiful in Italian.
- Aurora – Named after the Roman goddess of dawn.
- Luna – Spanish for moon.
- Willow – Graceful and flexible.
- Athena – Greek goddess of wisdom.
- Ivy – Delicate yet strong.
- Freya – Norse goddess of love.
- Stella – Latin for star.
- Amara – Eternal in Sanskrit.
- Seraphina – Fiery or ardent.
- Dahlia – Elegant and beautiful flower.
- Elara – One of Jupiter’s moons.
- Calista – Most beautiful.
- Lyra – Named after the constellation.
- Faye – A fairy or magical being.
- Zara – Princess or flower.
- Nova – New or young.
- Celeste – Heavenly or divine.
- Aria – Melody or song.
- Lila – Night in Sanskrit.
Choosing a name for a female fox is about capturing her grace, beauty, and charm. The names listed above are a blend of these attributes, ensuring your fox has a name that suits her perfectly.
Famous Fox Names
Foxes have been featured in various forms of media, from books to movies. Here are some famous fox names that have left an indelible mark on pop culture.
- Tod – From the movie “The Fox and the Hound.”
- Robin – Robin Hood, the legendary fox from the animated movie.
- Swiper – The sneaky fox from “Dora the Explorer.”
- Fantastic – From the Roald Dahl book and Wes Anderson film.
- Vixey – The female fox from “The Fox and the Hound.”
- Nick Wilde – The sly fox from “Zootopia.”
- Foxy Loxy – From the fairy tale “Chicken Little.”
- Gideon Grey – A reformed bully fox from “Zootopia.”
- Maid Marian – The fox love interest of Robin Hood.
- Reynard – A trickster figure in European folklore.
- Kurama – The nine-tailed fox from “Naruto.”
- Silver – From the book “The Animals of Farthing Wood.”
- Sly Cooper – The thieving protagonist from the video game series.
- Tails – The two-tailed fox from the “Sonic the Hedgehog” series.
- Carmelita Fox – The Interpol officer from “Sly Cooper.”
- Fox McCloud – The protagonist of the “Star Fox” video game series.
- Krystal – Fox McCloud’s love interest in “Star Fox.”
- Farthing – From the book “The Animals of Farthing Wood.”
- Brer Fox – From the Uncle Remus stories.
- Fenneko – The sly fox from the show “Aggretsuko.”
Foxes in popular culture have always been depicted as cunning, intelligent, and sometimes even as heroes. These famous names are a testament to the lasting impression these characters have made on audiences worldwide.
Funny Fox Names
Foxes, with their playful antics and curious nature, often bring a smile to our faces. Here are some humorous names that perfectly capture the spirit of these mischievous creatures.
- Firefox – A nod to the popular web browser.
- Foxtrot – A playful dance move.
- Socks – For the fox with white paws.
- Faux – A play on the word “fake.”
- Box – Rhymes with fox!
- Jukebox – For the fox that loves to sing.
- Foxhole – A playful take on their burrows.
- Foxglove – A beautiful but toxic plant.
- Lox – A type of smoked salmon.
- Sox – For the fox with colorful paws.
- Wok – A nod to the cooking pan.
- Ox – A play on words.
- Spox – A spokesperson fox.
- Locks – For the fox with beautiful fur.
- Moxie – For the spirited fox.
- Vox – Latin for voice.
- Flux – Constant change.
- Pox – A playful take on chickenpox.
- Knox – A nod to Fort Knox.
Foxes are creatures full of personality and charm. These funny names are a nod to their playful nature and are sure to bring a chuckle to anyone who hears them.
Mythical Fox Names
Foxes have been a part of folklore and mythology for centuries. Here are some names inspired by mythical foxes and their tales.
- Kitsunebi – Japanese for fox fire.
- Tamamo – A legendary nine-tailed fox from Japanese folklore.
- Huli Jing – Chinese for fox spirit.
- Kumiho – A nine-tailed fox from Korean mythology.
- Skoll – A wolf from Norse mythology, but can be used for foxes.
- Fenrir – Another wolf from Norse mythology.
- Cadejo – A mythical creature from Central American folklore.
- Teumessian – A giant fox from Greek mythology.
- Barghest – A mythical creature from English folklore.
- Ylvis – Inspired by the song “The Fox” by Ylvis.
- Anubis – The jackal-headed god from Egyptian mythology.
- Lycos – Greek for wolf.
- Amarok – A giant wolf from Inuit mythology.
- Wepwawet – An ancient Egyptian deity with a wolf or jackal head.
- Adalwolfa – German for noble wolf.
- Leloo – Inspired by the fifth element.
- Lyall – Old Norse for wolf.
- Otsune – Another name for a fox in Japanese.
- Faolan – Irish for wolf.
- Raev – Old Norse for fox.
Mythical names carry the weight of history and legend. Naming your fox after one of these mythical creatures or tales can give it an aura of mystery and magic.
Cute Fox Names
Foxes, with their bright eyes and bushy tails, are undeniably adorable. Here are some names that perfectly capture their cuteness.
- Paws – For the fox with cute feet.
- Cherry – Bright and sweet.
- Fizz – Bubbly and lively.
- Taffy – Stretchy and sweet.
- Lolly – Short for lollipop.
- Puff – Soft and fluffy.
- Momo – Peach in Japanese.
- Berry – Sweet and colorful.
- Coco – Inspired by cocoa.
- Fizzles – Bubbly and fun.
- Marshmallow – Soft and squishy.
- Nectar – Sweet and delicious.
- Pudding – Soft and sweet.
- Tofu – Soft and white.
- Waffles – Sweet and textured.
- Zigzag – For the playful fox.
- Juniper – Sweet and aromatic.
- Cricket – Energetic and chirpy.
- Skye – Inspired by the open sky.
- Starling – Quick and agile, like the bird.
- Tumble – Playful and adventurous.
Fawn – Gentle and graceful.
Foxes are naturally cute, and these names are a nod to their adorable nature. Whether it’s their playful antics or their soft fur, these names perfectly capture the essence of a cute fox.
Naming a fox is a delightful experience, reflecting not just the fox’s unique characteristics but also the bond between the fox and its owner.
Whether you’re drawing inspiration from mythology, popular culture, or simply the fox’s appearance and personality, the perfect name is out there waiting to be discovered.
Hopefully, the above suggestions serve as a starting point for your own creative journey in finding the perfect name for your foxy friend.